Keep public policy supporting you, your profession, and your clients with Mississippi Licensed Professional Counselors Association’s powerful advocacy initiatives with state government and our grassroots support of national counselor initiatives.
We work with Mississippi’s legislature, Administrative agencies, and the Executive Branch toward the following objectives:
- To ensure that counselors are recognized in applicable state laws and policies
- To educate policymakers about the role of mental health counselors
- To increase lawmakers’ awareness about mental illness and its effects on people’s lives
- To enhance public and private insurance plans so mental health benefits are offered in parity with medical and surgical benefits
MLPCA is continuously alert to any issues effecting mental health counselors on a state and national level so that we can at all times prepare a strategy for supporting our profession and the public we serve.
- 1985 Passage of Professional Counselor Licensure Law
- 1992 Passage of Freedom of Choice Law (Sec.83-41-221)
- 2000 Inclusion of LPCs on the State and Public School Employee Health Insurance Plan
- 2001 LPC Licensure Board regulation requires all supervision be provided by LPCs
- 2015 Inclusion of LPCs on the Medicaid Health Insurance Plan